Harrington Hospital was established in 1931 to serve Southbridge and nearby communities, pledging to provide high-quality, personalized medical services to patients in an effective and efficient manner. The seed money for the hospital--$150,000-was pledged by Charles and Gertrude Harrington. In the throes of the Depression, it was a difficult time to raise funds, but the community rallied around the idea of a hospital to serve all comers, both rich and poor, in South Central Massachusetts.
Through the years, Harrington has evolved to keep pace with community needs and technological advancements. But our core values, reflected in our current theme of Total Local Care (TLC), are much the same as in 1931.
Today, despite the nation's worst economic downturn since the Depression, Harrington is once again rising to the challenge, finding innovative and cost-effective solutions to meet growing community needs. This includes enhancing our inpatient care and also expanding our services well beyond our campus in Southbridge.