General Summary: Under the direction of the Laboratory Supervisor, the secretary is responsible for pathology clerical duties. The secretary also is responsible for any other duties that the Laboratory Supervisor or Medical Director deems necessary. No supervision is required for specimen processing or reporting of patient test results.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Technical/ Administrative:
• Is responsible for preparing reports utilizing knowledge of medical terminology
• Types pathologist's dictation and maintains competency using the Ovation system
• Maintains updated knowledge of the current computer systems
• Process all pathology specimens for reference labs. This includes but is not limited to calculi, ERA, and PRA requests.
• Process external requests for slides and blocks with accompanying letter to other hospitals or physicians upon request for consultation
• Prepares for Tumor Board presentation.
• Types pathologists correspondence and perform the usual secretarial duties, such as answering the phone and faxing reports
• Provides verbal reports, faxes or distributes final reports to their proper locations
• Follows all laboratory safety codes
• Logs all pathology specimens into the computer system
• Maintains open communication with the laboratory personnel, nursing units and physicians offices
• The ability to be sympathetic and polite to patients as well as other para-hospital personnel
• Attends pertinent management meetings and outside seminars
• Keeps current in any policy changes
• Maintains the pathology manuals and completes needed revisions
• Trains new personnel and documentation
• Adheres to all safety regulations and attends safety seminars
• Knowledge of Brio reports and how to print them
• Print and file QA reports for CAP
• Routinely works the pathology rejection batch
• Checks requisitions against labels to ensure that the proper tests were entered
• When necessary, mail distribution of reports.
5. Special Duties:
• Maintain proficiency with Meditech and Windowpath
• Library maintenance fro WindowPath and ability to troubleshoot
• Records pathologist times for time sheet
High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Ideal candidate will have excellent computer skills, be proficient with Microsoft Office software and have prior secretarial experience and knowledge of Meditech and Windowpath systems.