Adolescence is a pivotal time in every child’s life. Because of the significant growth that is taking place, ensuring that they are getting proper nutrition is one of the most important things you can do as a parent. While setting your sights on perfection is an insurmountable goal, you can definitely aim to achieve a smart, balanced diet that will allow your child to grow and flourish.
Below are some of the most important tips you should keep in mind when thinking about your adolescent’s nutrition.
- Your adolescent will need to eat more than three meals each day, so be sure your home is filled with healthy snacks for them to reach for in between meals.
- Lower the amount of sodium they are eating by cutting out processed foods as much as possible.
- Encourage water as much as possible and do your best to help keep sugary drinks, even sports drinks, out of the home as much as possible.
- Be a good example for your adolescent by demonstrating what a healthy diet looks like.
- Ask your adolescent to help you plan and prepare meals so that they feel involved in the food they are eating.
- Try fun and exciting recipes that encourage your adolescent to explore new tastes.
Although it can take some planning and preparation, you can help your adolescent make smart choices when it comes to their nutrition, teaching them what is best by being an example yourself. Remember, if there’s something you don’t want your child to eat or drink, keep it out of the house!