The Urgent Express in Charlton is closed and all patients should visit Oxford Urgent Care to be seen. Please CALL this number prior to arrival: 508-499-1760
Oxford Hours: 8AM-4PM, 7 Days a Week
What is Genetic Counseling?
Genetic counseling is the process of helping individuals and families understand and adapt to the medical and psychological impact of the genetic contributions to disease. Through genetic counseling, individuals and families have the opportunity to explore family and medical history, available test results, environmental exposures, and other factors that may play a role in cancer risk.
How We Can Help
The Cancer Center at Harrington has a genetic counselor who can help you understand your personal risk of inherited cancer.
What to Expect During a Genetic Counseling Appointment
Your genetic counselor will:
- Gather information about your personal medical history
- Document a detailed family history focused on cancer and other significant health conditions
- Explain your risk for cancer, based on your family and medical history
- Review the benefits, limitations, and common concerns about genetic testing and help you determine whether or not genetic testing is right for you
- Interpret what your genetic test results mean for you and your family in a way that is easy to understand
- Outline possible medical management options to discuss with your physician
- Provide resources and support
We encourage patients to check with their insurance to verify counseling/testing coverage. To schedule an appointment, please call 508-764-2400.
For more information on genetic counseling, please visit:
National Society of Genetics Counselors
Centers for Disease Control